The month of April is National Child Abuse Prevention Month.
I just wanted to take a moment from blogging about herbal remedies and call this out. As many of you know, a portion of all proceeds that come into Bucklebury goes to fight Human Trafficking in our Expand your Heartprint program. We do this because we care about and value human lives. All children that are involved in human trafficking are abuse victims one way or the another. And yes, I’m aware that not all child abuse is associated with human trafficking as plenty of children are abused right in their own homes by parents and/or relatives, sadly. Because we do value and care about the well being of every person, it is important to me that we call out child abuse, in all its forms.
5 Facts about Child Abuse
- Approximately 1 in 5 children die every day because of child abuse.
- 1 out of 3 girls and 1 out of 5 boys will be sexually abused before they reach the age of 18.
- 90% of child sexual abuse victims know the perpetrator in some way and 68% are abused by a family member.
- Children who experience child abuse and neglect are 59% more likely to be arrested as a juvenile, 28% more likely to be arrested as an adult, and 30% more likely to commit violent crime.
- 2.9 million cases of child abuse are reported every year in the United States.
To see more fact and supporting sources for this list visit: https://www.dosomething.org/us/facts/11-facts-about-child-abuse
What you can do to help prevent child abuse:
- Educate yourself: Here are some sites you can visit to get statistics, helpful tips to be able to identify the signs of child abuse and any other information you need to do your part
Promote programs in school: Teach children, parents, and teachers prevention strategies that can help keep children safe.
Volunteer at your local child abuse prevention program: For more information call 1.800.CHILDREN
Get Involved: Ask your community leaders, clergy, library and/or schools to develop services/programs that educate people to keep children safe from abuse.
Report suspected abuse: Know the signs to watch for and if you suspect a child is being abused, call your local police department or department of child services.
According to the stats, 1 in 5 children die every day because of child abuse. Just take a moment from your busy day and reflect on that. Please do your part and help those that CANNOT help themselves.
Thank you for listening, now act.
President & CEO